DUSHANBE, July 31, Asia-Plus-Reuters – Taliban kidnappers shot dead a male South Korean hostage on Monday, a spokesman for the group said, accusing the Afghan government of not listening to rebel demands for the release of Taliban prisoners.
"We killed one of the male hostages at 6.30 this evening because the Kabul administration did not listen to our repeated demands," spokesman Qari Mohammad Yousuf told Reuters by telephone from an unknown location.
The Taliban seized 23 Korean Christians, 18 of them women, 11 days ago from a bus in Ghazni on the main highway south from Kabul and killed the leader of the group on Wednesday after an earlier deadline passed.
The spokesman said the Taliban would kill more hostages if Kabul ignored their demand to release rebel prisoners but set no new deadline. He said the body of the Korean shot on Monday had been dumped on a roadside.
The shooting was a bloody rejection of the authorities'' request for more time for talks on freeing the hostages after the expiry of a rebel deadline earlier in the day.
Al Jazeera television broadcast a video showing at least seven of the female hostages, wearing headscarves and apparently unharmed. Four were sitting on the ground, the rest standing beside men in Afghan robes, apparently militants.
Al Jazeera said it had obtained the footage "from a source outside Afghanistan."
The hostage crisis has focused attention on growing lawlessness in Afghanistan with Taliban influence, suicide bombs and attacks spreading to many areas previously considered safe and making road travel between major cities a risky affair.
A spokesman for the governor of Ghazni province, where the hostages were seized, said earlier that Afghan authorities had asked for two more days in which to settle the hostage crisis peacefully.
The Taliban had earlier insisted the release of Taliban prisoners was the only way to settle the crisis. On Sunday, the Taliban ruled out further talks after they said government negotiators demanded the unconditional release of the hostages and a senior Afghan official said that force might be used to rescue them if talks failed.
President Hamid Karzai has remained silent throughout the hostage ordeal, except for condemning the abduction, the largest by the Taliban since U.S.-led forces overthrew the movement''s radical Islamic government in 2001. He was harshly criticized for freeing a group of Taliban in March in exchange for the release of an Italian journalist.
The Koreans were abducted a day after two German aid workers and their five Afghan colleagues were seized by Taliban in neighboring Wardak province. The body of one of the Germans has been found with gunshot wounds.




How a resident of Khujand became energy-independent
Kazakhstan joins countries sending troops to Gaza: key agreements from the first Peace Council meeting
Murder of gas station cashier in Khatlon province: over 20 stab wounds
Tajik military recruitment official arrested for corruption and bribery
Tajikistan honors athletes with presidential awards for international achievements
Tajikistan's Security Council holds key meeting on national security
Tajikistan shuts down nearly 90 industrial enterprises in 2025
US dollar reportedly maintains dominance in Central Asia amid Chinese yuan hype
US-based company to invest $150 million in Uzbekistan’s gas station network
Tajik minister of industry holds talks with OpenAI CEO Sam Altman at AI Impact Summit in New Delhi
All news
Авторизуйтесь, пожалуйста