DUSHANBE, December 16, 2009, Asia-Plus – A criminal case has been opened against 49 associates of late Tajik Emergency Situations Minister Mirzo Ziyoev, Radio Liberty’s Tajik Service reported on December 15.
Prosecutor-General Bobojon Bobokhonov told RFE/RL today that an investigation by the National Security Committee has shown that Ziyoev and 49 others were plotting an armed operation to release some of their supporters from jail.
He added that the accused include 11 militants with Russian and Uzbek citizenship.
Bokokhonov added that eight of the group members were affiliated with the banned Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan.
No further details of the criminal case are available.
Ziyoev -- also known as Mirzo Jaga -- was one of the top military commanders of the United Tajik Opposition during the 1992-97 civil war.
He was shot dead on July 11 during a special security operation in the eastern Tavildara district.
Tajik officials said he was killed in an ambush by his own supporters, an explanation that they reject.



Tajik, Kazakh top diplomats discuss economic and cultural cooperation
9 million somoni found in inspector’s account: prosecutors uncover major energy sector embezzlement scheme
Tajikistan records 177 human trafficking cases last year
“They want to undermine our relations with China”: Tajik prosecutor-general on clashes along the Afghan-Tajik border
Asia-Plus launches special project on animal protection
Man detained in Dushanbe on suspicion of illegal religious teaching and child abuse
Prosecutor-general confirms dismissal of Bouston prosecutor after restaurant incident
Tajik authorities seek removal of EU sanctions on its three banks
Tajikistan to allocate 100 hectares for Paulownia plantations in 2026
Victims’ lawyers seek life sentences in Crocus terror attack case
All news
Авторизуйтесь, пожалуйста