DUSHANBE, July 27, 2012, Asia-Plus – Asia-Plus’s correspondent reports from the city of Khorog that the numbers of government forces has increased in the city. According to some sources, several other vehicles with special unit servicemen on board have arrived in Khorog and the second attack, it is takes place, will be more large-scale.
Local activists are continuing to conduct negotiations with the authorities and the militants in an effort to prevent the possible second attack. The ongoing demonstrations in Khorog are also deterrent for the beginning of the attack.
Meanwhile, Radio Liberty’s Tajik Service says that according to reports from eastern Tajikistan, the government and armed fighters are close to reaching an agreement to hostilities that broke out earlier this week leaving some 70 people dead.
The fighters reportedly have agreed to disarm but talks continue on handing over four people the Tajik government holds responsible for the killing of a security official in the Gorno-Badakhshan region on July 21.
Communications with the region remain tenuous. Tajik officials in Dushanbe say phone lines connecting the Tajik capital to Khorog, the regional capital some 520 kilometers to the southeast, were damaged in fighting on July 24.
The Tajik government says 12 soldiers, 30 people described as “militants,” and some 30 civilians were killed in fighting in the Khorog area this week, RFE/RL’s Tajik Service said.




Tajik, Kazakh top diplomats discuss economic and cultural cooperation
9 million somoni found in inspector’s account: prosecutors uncover major energy sector embezzlement scheme
Tajikistan records 177 human trafficking cases last year
“They want to undermine our relations with China”: Tajik prosecutor-general on clashes along the Afghan-Tajik border
Asia-Plus launches special project on animal protection
Man detained in Dushanbe on suspicion of illegal religious teaching and child abuse
Prosecutor-general confirms dismissal of Bouston prosecutor after restaurant incident
Tajik authorities seek removal of EU sanctions on its three banks
Tajikistan to allocate 100 hectares for Paulownia plantations in 2026
Victims’ lawyers seek life sentences in Crocus terror attack case
All news
Авторизуйтесь, пожалуйста