DUSHANBE, August 17, 2012, Asia-Plus – The process of voluntary surrender of weapons and ordnance in Khorog, the capital of the Gorno Badakhshan Autonomous region is continuing, with fighters having handed over a large amount of firearms and ordnance over the past two weeks through the mediation of local activists and religious figures.
The Interior Ministry’s website reports the large consignment of weapons, including assault rifles Kalashnikov, Makarov pistols, grenades, smooth-bore guns and a large amount of bullets, was handed over to the local law enforcement authorities on August 16.
The Ministry of Interior reminds that the rebels who voluntarily lay down their weapons will be amnestied.
The report does not note the total number of weapons that have been laid down by the militants to the law enforcement authorities so far.
We will recall that members of an armed group in Khorog have started handing over their weapons as part of a truce with the government.
Meanwhile, the Asia-Plus’s correspondent reports from Khorog that Mamadboqir Mamadboqirov one of the former field commanders in Gorno Badakhshan, has agreed to testify in the Shugnan prosecutor’s office today.
Earlier the authorities demanded that Mamadboqirov testify in the Khorog police department. “According to the source, Mamadboqirov refused to testify in the Khorog police department because he feared that he will be arrested; he agreed to testify only in the Shugnan prosecutor’s office,” the Asia-Plus’s correspondent said.
We will recall that the clashes began in Khorog on July 24 when government forces launched a military operation against what it called “militants” following the murder of the regional security chief Abdullo Nazarov on July 21.
The authorities have blamed Tolib Ayombekov, a former warlord from the civil war, for the murder of Abdullo Nazarov. Hundreds of troops have reportedly poured into Khorog to hunt down Ayombekov.
Authorities also accused Ayombekov of drug-trading and smuggling tobacco and precious stones.
Tolib Ayombekov has denied the accusations and said the government is using Nazarov''s death as a pretext for cementing its grip over Gorno Badakhshan. According to some media sources, fighting that occurred in Khorog last month has left at least 17 soldiers, 30 militants, and more than 20 civilians dead.
The authorities demand that people they consider responsible for the murder of the GBAO regional security chief be handed over to face justice.




How a resident of Khujand became energy-independent
Kazakhstan joins countries sending troops to Gaza: key agreements from the first Peace Council meeting
Murder of gas station cashier in Khatlon province: over 20 stab wounds
Tajik military recruitment official arrested for corruption and bribery
Tajikistan honors athletes with presidential awards for international achievements
Tajikistan's Security Council holds key meeting on national security
Tajikistan shuts down nearly 90 industrial enterprises in 2025
US dollar reportedly maintains dominance in Central Asia amid Chinese yuan hype
US-based company to invest $150 million in Uzbekistan’s gas station network
Tajik minister of industry holds talks with OpenAI CEO Sam Altman at AI Impact Summit in New Delhi
All news
Авторизуйтесь, пожалуйста