British troops accidentally killed four civilians and wounded three others with rockets during an operation against Taliban insurgents in southern Afghanistan, NATO and British officials said Sunday.
The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force said women and children were among the casualties, but it did not detail whether they were dead or wounded.
The British Ministry of Defense said British paratroopers were involved in the episode in the Sangin district of Helmand Province on Saturday. It said the alliance and British forces would investigate.
The alliance force said a patrol had spotted insurgents with weapons preparing to attack from the roof of a compound. “In order to protect themselves,” it said in a statement, the British soldiers “launched three rockets, all of which hit the target. Unbeknown to the patrol, the civilians were inside the compound.”
The force “deeply regrets the tragedy,” the statement added.




How a Tajikistani native made his way to one of the world’s most influential tech companies
Two traders arrested on the first day of Ramadan for overcharging on meat in Dushanbe
27 young men sentenced in Tajikistan last year for avoiding military service
Uzbekistan launches jury trial system as an experiment
Job market in Tajikistan: Somon.tj identifies most in-demand professions and market trends
Russian lawmaker proposes migrants should receive benefits only after 20 years of residence in Russia
Tajikistan in 2025: economic growth, inflation, and foreign trade
Police in Dushanbe urges entrepreneurs to avoid unjustified price increases during Ramadan
"No criminal cases have been initiated": Tajikistan has not punished citizens for participation in the war in Ukraine
Tajik, Kazakh railway companies agree to expand cooperation
All news
Авторизуйтесь, пожалуйста