DUSHANBE, November 30, 2015, Asia-Plus -- Russia has announced a package of economic sanctions against Turkey in retaliation for the shooting down of a Russian jet four days ago on the Syrian-Turkish border.

President Vladimir Putin signed a decree outlining the curbs and the details were posted on the Kremlin’s website. Among the measures announced were restrictions on imports of some Turkish goods, a ban on charter flights between the two countries and an end to Russian tour operators selling trips to Turkey.

It also said Turkish companies operating in Russia and Turkish staff employed by Russian companies will face restrictions and ordered the government to prepare a list of goods, businesses and jobs that would be affected.

Kremlin’s spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, said there are close to 90,000 Turkish nationals working in Russia. Taking family members into account, that figure rises to 200,000.

Russia is Turkey’s second largest trading partner.  According to Russian media outlets, more than three million Russian tourists visited Turkey last year.  Russia is also Turkey''s biggest supplier of natural gas

The decree, which came into force immediately, was called: “On measures to ensure Russia’s national security and protect Russian citizens from criminal and other illegal activities, and the application of special economic measures against Turkey.”

On Friday, Russia reinstated the need for visas to travel between the two countries.

A decree published on the Kremlin''s website on Saturday came hours after Turkey''s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan voiced “sadness” over the incident, saying he wished it hadn''t happened.

Meanwhile, Reuters quoted a senior Turkish official as saying the move would only worsen the standoff between Moscow and Ankara.