The gunman suspected of killing 39 people in an Istanbul nightclub on New Year's Day has been caught by police in Istanbul’s Esenyurt district, media reports said on Tuesday.
The man, identified by Turkey’s Hurriyet newspaper and other media as an Uzbek national Abdulkadir Masharipov, was reportedly captured in a police raid on January 16.
The man, who media quoted police as saying had operated under the cover name Abu Muhammad Horasani, was caught in a hideout with his four-year-old son, Hurriyet said.
Haberturk website says there were three people in the apartment where he was caught, the home of a Kyrgyz friend of his to which he had gone three days earlier.
Reuters reports that according to Turkish state-run Anadolu news agency, five people were detained in the operation, including the alleged perpetrator, a man of Kyrgyz origin and three women. It said simultaneous raids were being conducted on other cells linked to the group.
Associated Press (AP) says that Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu posted a Twitter message thanking the interior minister, Suleyman Soylu, police and intelligence organizations “who caught the Reina attacker in the name of the people.” Earlier in the day, Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus said the Reina nightclub attack had been carried out professionally with the help of an intelligence organization, a claim he had made in the first days after the attack. He did not name the organization suspected of being involved.
Dozens of people have previously been detained in connection with the attack for which Islamic State (IS) terrorist group has claimed responsibility, saying it was revenge for Turkish military involvement in Syria.
On January 1, the attacker shot his way into the Reina nightclub then opened fire with an automatic rifle, reloading his weapon half a dozen times and shooting the wounded as they lay on the ground.
Turks as well as visitors from several Arab nations, India and Canada were among those killed in the attack.
News agencies cited security sources as saying that operations against other potential terrorist cells were under way January 17.
IS has been blamed for at least six major attacks in Turkey since mid-2015, including an attack on a peace rally in October 2015 that killed more than 100 in Ankara.




Over 700 artistes in Tajikistan owe more than 660,000 somoni in taxes
How a resident of Khujand became energy-independent
Kazakhstan joins countries sending troops to Gaza: key agreements from the first Peace Council meeting
Murder of gas station cashier in Khatlon province: over 20 stab wounds
Tajik military recruitment official arrested for corruption and bribery
Tajikistan honors athletes with presidential awards for international achievements
Tajikistan's Security Council holds key meeting on national security
Tajikistan shuts down nearly 90 industrial enterprises in 2025
US dollar reportedly maintains dominance in Central Asia amid Chinese yuan hype
US-based company to invest $150 million in Uzbekistan’s gas station network
All news
Авторизуйтесь, пожалуйста