Defense Secretary Robert Gates on Wednesday expressed "personal regret" for recent U.S. airstrikes that killed Afghan civilians, and pledged more accurate targeting in future.
After meeting with Afghan President Hamid Karzai and other senior government officials, Gates said at a news conference, "As I told them, I offer all Afghans my sincere condolences and personal regret for the recent loss of innocent life as a result of coalition airstrikes."
Gates said the U.S. military takes extraordinary precautions to avoid civilian casualties, but added, "It is clear that we have to work even harder." He told Afghan officials that he would be discussing the issue with American commanders and pilots on Wednesday.
Gen. David McKiernan, the commander of international forces in Afghanistan, said earlier that a shortage of U.S. troops in Afghanistan is forcing commanders to rely more on air combat, which can cause more civilian deaths. The attacks that have angered and embarrassed the U.S.-backed Afghan government.
No water, no food: Central Asia reminded of the threats
New U.S. foreign policy priorities and possible consequences for Central Asia
The UN World Food Programme in Tajikistan invites to an online auction
Tajikistan aims for full utilization of its hydropower resources, says Tajik minister of energy
Tajikistan successfully completes EBRD's climate transition planning program
Tajik leader receives Tatarstan president to discuss cooperation
President appoints new members to Tajikistan’s upper chamber of parliament
Bread, sugar, vegetable oil, fuel: What supplies the Tajik Government is stockpiling
‘Europe is ready to respond’: European Commission chief reacts to new U.S. tariffs
EU aims to deepen partnership with Central Asia’s nations at the upcoming Samarkand summit
All news
Авторизуйтесь, пожалуйста