Iranian authorities said on Friday that 19 people lost their lives in a suicide bomb attack on a mosque in the southeast of the country, the IRNA state news agency reported.
They also say that 125 people were injured in Thursday''s explosion at the Amir al-Momenin mosque in the southeast city of Zahedan, in the Sistan-Baluchistan Province.
Provincial governor Ali Mohammad Azad also said that 80 of the injured had been hospitalized.
Azad said that a "group of terrorists" had been detained in the province, adding that they had planned on carrying out more terrorist acts in the country.
"They planned to carry out other terrorist activities in other provinces and regions of the country," Azad was quoted by the state IRB news website as saying.
There are frequent confrontations between Iranian police, drug traffickers, smugglers and militants in Sistan-Baluchistan due to its location on the borders with Pakistan and Afghanistan.
No water, no food: Central Asia reminded of the threats
New U.S. foreign policy priorities and possible consequences for Central Asia
The UN World Food Programme in Tajikistan invites to an online auction
Tajikistan aims for full utilization of its hydropower resources, says Tajik minister of energy
Tajikistan successfully completes EBRD's climate transition planning program
Tajik leader receives Tatarstan president to discuss cooperation
President appoints new members to Tajikistan’s upper chamber of parliament
Bread, sugar, vegetable oil, fuel: What supplies the Tajik Government is stockpiling
‘Europe is ready to respond’: European Commission chief reacts to new U.S. tariffs
EU aims to deepen partnership with Central Asia’s nations at the upcoming Samarkand summit
All news
Авторизуйтесь, пожалуйста