Senior officials from the United States and Russia held talks Thursday on a new nuclear disarmament treaty, Interfax news agency reported, after both sides said significant progress had been made.
US and Russian negotiators have been in lengthy talks on a replacement for the 1991 Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START), a key Cold War-era disarmament pact which expired in December.
US National Security Adviser James Jones and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mike Mullen took part in the discussions in Moscow with their Russian counterparts, Interfax said without providing the names of the Russian officials.
"The discussions are occurring behind closed doors," Interfax quoted a Russian diplomatic source as saying.
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said last weekend that the two countries had made "significant" progress towards a new nuclear disarmament treaty.
US Under Secretary of State William Burns said recently that the two sides were "on the verge" of a deal.
No water, no food: Central Asia reminded of the threats
New U.S. foreign policy priorities and possible consequences for Central Asia
The UN World Food Programme in Tajikistan invites to an online auction
Tajikistan aims for full utilization of its hydropower resources, says Tajik minister of energy
Tajikistan successfully completes EBRD's climate transition planning program
Tajik leader receives Tatarstan president to discuss cooperation
President appoints new members to Tajikistan’s upper chamber of parliament
Bread, sugar, vegetable oil, fuel: What supplies the Tajik Government is stockpiling
‘Europe is ready to respond’: European Commission chief reacts to new U.S. tariffs
EU aims to deepen partnership with Central Asia’s nations at the upcoming Samarkand summit
All news
Авторизуйтесь, пожалуйста